Saturday, January 16, 2016

Match Mine!

So if you are reading this you probably can see that I am new in the blogging world. I have been so inspired by many teachers lately and would love to share my experiences in teaching as well. One thing I am really passionate about in my classroom lately has been cooperative learning. This summer one of my dear colleagues and I were chosen to attend the Kagan Summer Academy in Orlando Florida. Oh my was I flattered! It was the best professional development I have every attend. I  use at least one thing I learned from my sessions in my classroom daily. That is something to be said about PD, is it me or do you often leave thinking "And when will I use that?".


Have you every heard of Kagan? Well it is all about engagement! When students are engaged, they pay attention, they're motivated, they learn more, and the learning sticks. The biggest difference between the Kagan approach and teaching using traditional methods is the ability to engage every student.




Today I would like to share how I have used a structure called Match Mine to work on targeted concepts with my students .Why use Match Mine?

Basically each student has identical boards and pieces. A file folder barrier (or barrier of some kind) must be placed between partners. One partner will be the "sender" (giving directions) while the other partner is the "receiver" (listening and carrying out task). Directions are given to hopefully create a board that matches.  The roles will switch allowing for concepts to be practiced and communication skills to be strengthened by both partners.



I strive to keep activities novel in my classroom. Therefore I created a winter themed board for this structure (pictured above) that is editable. Be sure to check it out here. In the mean time consider following me. I will be back soon with more cooperative learning tips.

No comments: